Friday, November 16, 2018

New Music Review: Mariah Carey 'Caution'




So anyone who REALLY knows me, understands the love I have for Mariah NoMuthafuckingMiddleName Carey. I have been there since "Vision of Love" and made it through the Glitter era. Hell, even after that notorious NYE performance, I was still a proud member of the #lambily. See, I honestly believe that Mariah has reached Icon status and what we are NOT going to do on my watch, is deny her greatness. The stunts are fun. The voice is great (and the inspiration for your faves and your faves' faves, quiet as it's kept) The pen game is still strong. So what let's see what everyone's favourite Elusive Chanteuse is giving the kids on her FIFTEENTH album.


1. GTFO: If you aren't hip and cool, this is what the kids are saying when they want someone to "GET THE FUCK OUT". When Is saw the title, I assumed she was going to do some sort of play on this, but no, she just went ahead and said "How 'bout you get the fuck out?" I love Love LOVE when Mariah cusses. It feels so right and wrong at the same damned time. The production feels very vibey and makes me think of something off of a Drake album, but with a distinct Mariah angle. The video with her in the lingerie sipping wine felt VERY Mariah and made me want to kick my (non-existent) lover to the curb. We love a good breakup song.




2. With You : DJ Mustard is on the beat, ho. Sorry, I shouldn't have called you that, but the streets be talking... Kidding. Unlike many of Mustard's productions, this song is a piano driven ballad. It has an old Mariah production feel to it, but doesn't feel dated. Vocally she's doesn't appear to be flexing, but she totally is. She's using chest and head voice and even gives you a whistle note at the end. Do we deserve it? Probably not, but she's generous AF. The video feel very classic Mariah-- Black and white AND slow motion singing?! It's like "My All" and "We Belong Together" had a video baby.




3. Caution : This song has quite a nice knock and bounce to it. The track itself, is slinky and sexy and Mariah's stacatto delivery reminds me of the mumble rappers all over the radio. She does it in a way, that doesn't feel like she's trying too hard. Mariah might know what the kids like, but mama is still gonna do it her own way.


4 A No No She had me at the sample. She could have just cooed for 4 minutes over this beat and I would have lost my mind. The track samples "Crush on You" by Lil' Kim. If you didn't know that I'm going to wait for you to slap yourself in the face. Done? Ok, let's move on. Mariah says "irregardless" which always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, but it's ok because Mariah invented language. Irregardless is now a word, get on board. I love the ad libs Once again on this song, Mimi isn't here for this guy's bullshit and is letting him know what it is (and what it ain't).

5. The Distance This song features Ty dollar sign. I feel like there is a symbol in there somewhere, but I can't be bothered. When I saw Skrillex was the producer, I was genuinely confused and a little concerned. Sure the man has done some great work, but what was he going to do for Mariah? I forgot that Skrillex works with Poo Bear, who is not only a VERY large man with a ridiculous name, but a talented R&B songwriter as well. To be quite honest, when I heard "GTFO" and "With You" I thought this album had promise; this single had me confident Mariah wasn't messing around.The track just has a sexy, soulful groove that makes me make a stank face and do an ole NASTY two step. This is a nice little love song moment, even though I feel like most people I've known who love "they said we couldn't make it" types of songs are in unhealthy relationships that really need not go "The Distance" (Mariah isn't the only wordsmith, y'all!) Whew, let me stop being real and keep it to the music!

6. Giving Me Life COME ON LOWER REGISTER! This feels like very 90s in the best way possible. This reminds of something that could have been on the "Butterfly" album and it wouldn't sound out of place next to "The Roof". I'd be lying if I didn't just Google Slick Rick to make sure he was still with us. This is a cute song, but the ending? WHY DIDN"T ANYONE WARN ME?!?!

7. One Mo' Gen " For this song, Mariah has Wondagurl (21y/o producer who has worked with a BUNCH of hip hop heavyweights) and Poo Bear helping her write. It's a fun little bop about getting that vitamin D! (Yes I screamed that like Beyonce in "Apeshit") It's a song about sex but the flowery lyrics and wordplay keep it far from crass.

8. 8th Grade : Apparently Timbaland produced this with Poo Bear helping writing. The production isn't bass crazy or filled with any of Timbaland's usual tricks, but it just has a nice bounce to it. The Timbaland REALLY jumps out in the end and now all I can think about is Aaliyah singing over this track. I kind of wish Missy was part of this, as I really enjoy when Missy and Timbaland do R&B records together.

9 Stay Long Love You I think this is the most uptempo song on the album. This might be the song I like the least. There's nothing wrong with it, but I'm not making a screw face just yet. On this track Mariah is going back and forth with Gunna (? apparently I did know a song, but once again had to go to my good friend, Google). Maybe this is the formula that she had come up with way back when that J. Lo ALLEGEDLY stole? It might just be slow to grow on me. I didn't like "Obsessed" when I first heard it. Don't tell the other Lambs, I am already on thin ice for never having seen Glitter.

10 Portrait This is just Mariah and a piano. I think this is a great way to end this album. It has all these features and super producers, but Mimi wants us to remember that she doesn't need all that.




I am sold on this album. I think Mariah did a good job of stretching out and trying new things but still keeping it true to that which she has become known. I always love when producers and songwriters work with an artist and push themselves to deliver something outside of their norm. I mean, Mariah has Skrillex out here making 90s R&B/bump and grind tunes! Speaking of the 90s, this album is filled with older 90s vibes, but everything has been updated to feel very now and of the moment. People who want "Dreamlover" Mariah will be let down. Those who want Mimi to act her age and start singing strictly Auntie music might also be let down. People who are wanting a solid contemporary album from a ICON should be satisfied. No need to be cautious (see what I did there?), this album SLAPS. HAAAARD.








No comments: