Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Album Review: Usher-Looking For Myself






So Usher’s “Looking for Myself” officially dropped today. The title is interesting given the fact that so many artists, especially R&B singers, seem to be looking for themselves. People aren’t buying CDs in America anymore and a more pop/dance sound sells like hotcakes overseas. So do you pay your bills and make music for the masses, or do you stay “true” to R&B and maybe have to work a few swing shifts at Wendy’s to make ends meet? Decisions, decisions. It appears that Usher is pulling a Nicki Minaj and attempting to give all of his fans something.

For the Glowstick Set:

Can’t Stop Won’t Stop- This song actually samples “Uptown Girl” I think will.i.am produced it. It sounds kind of like a rehash of “OMG” but in a good way, if that even makes sense.

Scream- The second single which is hella upbeat and dancefloor friendly. I love the energy of this song. It wasn’t until about my 20th listen that I actually listened to the lyrics and realized just how sexual it is. Needless to say I loved it even more. “Realx and get on your back, if you wanna scream” GENIUS.

Climax: I loved this song from the get go. I love Diplo’s production on it. I think it is the perfect balance between electro pop and R&B. Usher’s vocals and falsetto bring a soul to the song that can easily be lost in electro music.

Numb: I feel like he attacks the beginning of this song with the same energy and intensity as “Without You” In fact this song sounds like it could be a part 2. A lesser part 2.

Euphoria: this is getting back into the dance vibe. It almost reminds me of a less inspired “Where Are You Now” I really enjoy this track


Skeet Music:

I Care: Usher slows it down a bit over a bumping and grinding beat that has been updated for 2012. It’s pretty sexual.

Show me: The beat to this song is really light and breezy, but I’m not really that into it. It’s not bad, it just is. The song kind of reminds me of Chris Brown’s “Forever” Plus, I think “show me what you came here for” just doesn’t sit right with me grammatically.

Lemme See: This song features Rick Ross and has a sexy ass vibe to it. He busts out the falsetto in an attempt to get some panties to drop. “hollering bout what you gonna do to me/ don’t talk about it, be about it/lemme see lemme see” 2 things: 1.) I’m sick of hearing the MAYBACH MUSIC in every Rick Ross Song 2.) Did Rick Ross just say that a chick looked like Trayvon Martin in her hoodie? The hell?

Twisted: This song features Pharrell, who I LOVE. The beat is really different and totally Skateboard P, yet sounds like a total throwback to a 70s vibe. I could see Pam Grier shooting at some jive turkeys while this played in the backround.

Dive: Rico Love penned track that has minimal production but allows Usher’s voice to really shine and soar. “The walls are looking like the might precipitate” Once again, after a few listens I think this song is super sexual and he’s talking about vagina.

What Happened To U: This song just has Usher patting himself on his pat and I’m not really here for all that.

Looking for Myself: The title track. Surprisingly it is boring as hell. I don’t really care for the song at all.

Lessons for the Lovers: Bump and grind music. Not really my thing, but a decent R&B track nonetheless. I guess if I had someone to bump and/or grind I’d have a different appreciation for it.

Sins of My Father: I like the groove of the track and Usher’s delivery has such a rich and old feel to it that it just resonates with me.

IFU- this track has a lot going on. I think it’s in a good way. It’s sexy and has hands claps. It’s a decent song.

Say the Words: I don’t really like this song. It sounds like a bonus track (NOT in a good way)

2nd Round: Eh. IT’s ok, nothing to write about. SO I’m going to stop writing about it. Now. There. I am done.

Hot Thing: Doing too much, yet does NOTHING at all. Ok, that’s how I felt the first two listens, but now I feel like I’d shake my hindquarters to this in a club.

Overall this is a pretty solid album. Yes, it has it’s share of fillers. It’s not a classic, but it is a decent album. I think Usher will please his core fans while broadening his appeal with some songs outside of his usual genre. I have seen the blogs and the comments with people wanting “the old Usher” back, but come on people! If he were to put out an album in the same vein as “Confessions” people would say that he isn’t trying new things, or that he sounds played out. The man is trying new things. Some of them work, some of them don’t. I think it should be applauded when musicians take risks and experiment with their sound. (granted I don’t think going the Guetta route is that risky, but whatever) Usher’s voice is on point in this project and I’m sure he will perform his ass off to make the songs come alive in the video. I’m excited what’s to come from this album.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,

My name is Kyle Chambers, I’m a co-founder of emurg.com,
a website dedicated to bringing up and coming bands into the spotlight. We
exclusively review unknown, independent, and new bands in an attempt to
provide bands the push they need to break out into the national music
scene. We are relatively new on the web, but we are excited to say we are
growing faster than we could have hoped! We are looking for established
and talented music reviewers to join us in our endeavor to promote small
but exceptional bands. We came across your website and you caught
our eye as someone we think would fit well with our team.

The emurg process is simple. To promote integrity and trust in the new
music scene we always ask permission to review an album, and do not share
music with anyone unless given explicit permission. Our seasoned staff
reviews the albums and then we promote them through a variety of social
media outlets. We run giveaway contests through these channels so that
eager fans across North America can get a taste of great new music. We are
not here to degrade any band’s music; if we like it we will review it, if
we don’t, we won’t review it.

Please take a moment to check out our site at www.emurg.com. We are
constantly growing and searching for new music. It would be our pleasure
to welcome you as the newest member of our team if you are interested.
Feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or hopefully to
accept our offer!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kyle Chambers
EMURG Co-Founder
kyle@emurg.com
www.emurg.com