Saturday, August 25, 2012

R.I.P Aaliyah: 11 Years Later




So today marks the 11th year since Aaliyah died. Crazy to think that a decade plus has passed since that day.I remember when Princess Diana died and my mum cried. I didn't understand how she could cry for a person that she had never met. I gained that understanding on August 25, 2001. I remember that day so vividly and watching in horror as the news anchors on CNN announced her plane crashing. This was way before Twitter deaths and other internet BS, so there was no use in me rushing home to check sources. I felt a sadness wash over me and I literally shed tears for a person whom I had never met.

So with the whole news that Drake was going to produce a posthumous CD for her I began thinking about her even more than usual. What would her place be in today’s music scene? We are in a time when people from her era are struggling to remain relevant (Oh hey Brandy and Monica) and people aren’t buying R&B music anymore. Would she like so many be forced to change her sound in favour of a more electo dance vibe (That one was for YOU Usher!)? Would Aaliyah even like Drake and his take on what SHE should sound like?

I have to stop asking so many questions, as it’s pointless. The world will never know. All these questions and Aaliyah could very well have decided to go into movies full time or just give it all up to have some babies. Instead of trying to figure out what could have been, I guess I should just focus on her legacy. Sadly any ethnic girl who sometimes dances and has longish hair (*cough* Sabi) still get pegged as cheap imitators. Now you KNOW you are bad, when you’ve been gone for 11 years and STILL have people talking about your signature Sexy Tom Boy style. Her music is still relevant and referenced in a time when people are ADD and get over people in a month’s time. I was in Chicago a few weekends ago and her song “Are you That Somebody” came on. EVERYONE and their mother was going hard. I may or may NOT have been leading a revival of the choreography, but that is neither here nor there. My point is that for a life and career to have been cut so short, it speaks volumes that she is still being talked about. I hope people are as thankful for her life as I am. Without Aaliyah we very well might not have Beyonce as we know her. Of course Bey would be singing, but would she be the face of L’Oreal and making movies? Would Rihanna be able to rock baggy pants, Jordans and a snapback and STILL get called sexy instead of a straight up lesbian? See where I’m going with this? The woman made her mark and forever changed the face of R&B (and pop to a certain degree) music. On this anniversary of the day she was called to heaven, let’s pay some homage to a girl that was truly one in a million.



No comments: