Tuesday, May 7, 2013

New Music: Mariah & Miguel : #Beautiful



Can we just PLEASE take a moment to discuss Mariah Carey’s new single #Beautiful. Typically I wouldn’t give in to using the hashtag, but it’s Mariah, Dahhling! I have to! Before it even dropped, people were saying that it was classic Mariah. I hate hearing a ton of buzz on a song before it drops as it usually kind of messes up the experience of just hearing it and making your own opinion regarding it. I got super nervous when she released a promo clip that featured a sparse guitar and creepy giggling.

It starts out with a simple guitar line. Miguel starts the song off. The track builds with more instruments and a lot of Mariah harmonies in the backround. Miguel gives an airy delivery that goes along perfectly with the track which feels breezy and summery to me.
Mariah comes in halfway into the song. I am glad to tell everyone that she is using her big girl voice and not whispering during her verses. She actually does a good job showcasingthe many facets of her voice. We get some head voice, some whistle register and some creepy giggling. Everyone can be happy and shut the hell up now!

The song is short and sweet coming in 3:22. I like that aspect of it. I hate when good songs overstay their welcome. I think Miguel was a wise choice. Yes, he’s having a moment now and people love him and his well layed hair, BUT vocally the two blend nicely. I was a bit concerned at why she would let Miguel start off the song. She let Rick Ross and Meek Mill do the same on her last single and it felt like she was a guest on her own song. It wasn’t until I gave it a few listens that I understood that Mariah is ALL over this track at any given moment. She is constantly harmonizing and ad libbing throughout. . To be honest, I didn’t notice it until this listen. They are subtle but add a lot of character to the track. Say what you want about Mariah (actually don’t. I don’t have space for non Lambs up in here. Be gone, hater!) but the woman knows music. She holds her own on the track as a true diva would.

I don’t know if radio will pick this up as it isn’t autotuned to death, talking about strippers or shitty. Either way, I think Mariah did right by us on this one, so I can’t be upset. Another number one to shut Nicki Minaj the hell up would be #beautiful though… (get it? It’s a play on the title of the song)




No comments: