Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Album Review: Kelly Rowland: Talk a Good Game





So I really thought that Beyonce would have had an album by now. Hell even a single would have been nice. I never would have guessed that Kelly and Michelle are dropping new music before a Beyonce who is on tour. Anyway, it’s pretty bogus to start a review of Kelly Rowland’s new album by talking about someone whose shadow she seems to be placed in frequently. My bad.

Ok, so when Kelly first started dropping singles I got nervous. Her last album didn’t burn up charts the way people thought after her hot single, “Motivation” Her follow up single was “Ice” which followed the same formula as “Motivation” even down to the Lil Wayne cameo. Her dates kept on getting pushed around and she didn’t even have a title. I seriously thought she was on some Ciara foolishness. Kelly didn’t give up and just chugged along with her next single “Kisses Down Low” She even made a video for it, but the song didn’t do anything. Oh shit. Next up was “Dirty Laundry” which got a LOT of attention. It chronicled her domestic abuse as well resentment for Bey. It was pretty deep and got people talking about her. Shortly afterwards, she signed up to be on X Factor and announced a release date.

Some thoughts on Kelendria’s “Talk a Good Game”

Freak: I like the way the album starts out. The track is sexy and slinky. Kelly sings “Everybody’s somebody’s freak” I never really thought of it. Thanks, girl!
Kisses Down Low: This was produced by Mike Will made it, who is the it producer right. He did Rihana’s “Pour It Up” and Miley’s “ We can’t stop”, both of which are doing well on the charts. This song actually had to grow on me. It’s a cute song and is about oral sex. Why I wasn’t on board to begin with is beyond me.

Gone: This song features Wiz Khalifa and sample Joni Mitchell. The song is basically telling someone to piss off. I love a good break up joint and I like it even more when it has a bit of knock to it. The best line of the song “You’re dinner waiting down the street, and you can have it your way” It just makes me laugh that she’s sending his ass to BK for dinner. Wiz delivers a forgettable rap and still sounds high as hell.

Talk a Good Game: The song is sexy and in a great groove and then Kevin Cossom comes through and it gets a bit more crunk. I’m still undecided how I feel about his feature on this. I also hate that she says “mines”

Down on Love: the lyrics are in line with the title. It’s a standard breakup song but I like the breezy feel the track has.


Dirty Laundry: The track sounds like a 90s throwback to R Kelly or one of his protégés like Sparkle. The lyrics feel deeply personal which is odd since she didn’t even write the song. (The Dream did) I like the honesty of the song. I have always wondered how it felt to be a victim of Beyonceitis and it’s great to get a glimpse of that life.

You Changed: After airing her dirty laundry, she brings Beyonce and Michelle on this track. It kind of sounds like the track “Girl” from Destiny Fulfilled. This feels like three artists on a track, not Destiny’s Child. Yet again Kelly graces us with a kiss my ass and then kick rocks track.

I Remember: This is a light track that makes me think of Drake’s “Take Care” for some reason.

Red Wine: This song sounds like a 90s throwback. Usually I’d mean that as a good thing, but this is pretty unremarkable. Not bad, just not great.

This is Love: This has a very Keri Hilson feel to it. I like Keri, so I like the delivery of the song.

Street Life: I LOVE this song. Pharrell isgiving us early 2000s Neptune’s sound. It’s funky and has a bunch of soul to it. Lyrically it’s not impressive. Here the track is the star and Kelly doesn’t get in the way of it.

Stand in Front of Me: This song sounds like it’s from a different era. She sounds sweet on it, but it kind of feels gimmicky.

Sky Walker: This song features The Dream and is a typical Dream slow jam. It has explicit lyrics and her sounding a bit nasal like he does at times. He does more of a rap than really sings.

Put Your Name on It: I like this slow jam and her vocals sound strong. This is a song that you can make babies to.
#1: Another breakup song. I like the lyrics “If I’m not your number one, then you better call number two” No one likes to be a back burner bitch and Kelly is singing a song reminding people of that fact! Finally.


Overall this is a solid R&B album. I don’t know if this is the best idea career wise as people aren’t really lining up to pay for R&B albums anymore. I have always liked her uptempo/dance tracks and thought she should stay in that lane. That way she could avoid the Beyonce comparisons and really stand out on her own. I do think that with “Talk a Good Game” Kelly can stand out. She seems to have finally found her lane in R&B. Now let’s see if people actually want to hear the sound upon which she has settled.

No comments: