Friday, December 23, 2011

New Video: You Da One




So this is one of the standout tracks for me on "Talk That Talk" I love the airy, fun vibe this song and I was glad she chose this as a single. It's nice to get a break from heartache and heart break (and getting beat up by Chris Brown--I won't let that go, I don't care how many hot songs he puts out) and talk about being in love for a minute.

This video was shot by Melina who shot "Rude Boy" and "S&M" Melina makes good videos but often recycles and just flat out bites other people's style (see: S&M video and anything by David LaChapelle)THis time around she bites herself, as this feels like a rehash of "Rude Boy" I would have avoided any references to Rude Boy" as the song itself has the same island/ raggamuffin vibe, so you would probably want steer the video elsewhere (but that's just my not so humble opinion)Hell, she even does some of the same dances. And the styling is in the same vein as the Armani Ad Rihanna shot.

I know it sounds like I am hating on the video, but I'm not. It's a simple beauty video. Rihanna looks amazing and the video is well shot. Not every video is going to have an intense story like "We Found Love" and I accept that (side eye to Lady Gaga) Let the record show that I love how the smoke coming out of her mouth spells out lyrics. I fear that people will follow suit. I still see people trying to rock RiRi Red hair and it makes me cry inside. Now I'm going to see a bunch of chicks picking up Newports trying to smoke and be sexy. I propose that next video Rihanna picks up a book or a college degree! Ok, that's a lie. I like her best when she's being bad and inappropriate!

Thanks for the early Christmas gift, Rihanna! Sorry I didn't get you anything. But hey, I actually bought (yes paid for) your CD, so that should be good enough!

No comments: