Monday, November 19, 2012

Album Review: Nicki Minaj- Re-Up






So a lot of people were let down by “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded” I have to say that I was one of them. I liked how it started out, but then I wasn’t really a huge fan of the pop/fist pump set that made up the end of the CD. I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t sing along to it in the club after a drink or 234, but I like mixtape, Nicki. Well Nicki must have gotten sick of only charting overseas and decided to re-issue her CD. These new tracks go hard and has Nicki doing what she does best: delivering great ass punch lines.

Up in Flames: I think this track has a big feel and is a great start to a CD. I was pretty much in love with this track after she said “I’mma violate you asses like Chris Stokes” I knew that she was ready to pop off at the gums and that made my heart smile

Freedom: Next single off this release. I like the track as it reminds me of something that Nas might spit over. This song basically has Nicki telling us how dope she is and how important to the industry she is. People don’t give her credit, and no one thanked Jesus for dying on the cross. Nicki, a MAC deal and some pepsi checks do NOT put you in the same group as Jesus. Sorry.

Hell Yeah: I’m not really feeling this. The track has LOT going on and it makes me kind of black out to be honest.

High School: I always like when Wayne and Nicki get together on tracks. I think she steps her game up when the bossman is on the same track.

I’m Legit: How Nicki ended up getting Ciara for this is beyond me. It’s fun, but it’s always weird to hear Ciara talking shit when she seems so quiet and sweet. Nicki’s flow goes from slow and choppy to rapid fire. I like how she switches it up.

I Endorse These Strippers: Fun song for girls who work the pole. It’s funny because it has a real presidential campaign commercial feel to the chorus. She sounds like a female Wayne here.

The Boys: I freaking love the beat. The drums basically pummel you upside the head, while a robotic Cassie sings a fun hook. What’s with Nicki bringing back all these throwback girls? She may hate other female MCs but she does her charity for R&B chicks who can’t chart. Brava Nick! Also it thrills me so that she references Love an Hip Hop's Joseline with that line about Steebie and her Cuddy cat. haha.


Overall this is a nice effort. I think the streets (and down ass white boys) will be pleased by this.

No comments: