Monday, November 12, 2012

Album Review: Christina Aguilera- "Lotus"


When RIhanna was still in Barbados and free of tattoos, Christina Aguilera was showing America what being fresh out of fucks to give looked like. I’m talking about her “Stripped” Era. This is when she stopped being lumped together with all the other pop princesses of the time (Britney, Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore) and really came into her own as a pussy popping, leather chap wearing diva. She followed that up with “Back to Basics” four years later which somehow got radio play. I’m not saying that album was bad, it was just so different than anything else on the radio. She another four year hiatus and put out Bionic. Things in the music world changed greatly in that time. Britney was now back in the game and somewhat lucid. The world was introduced to Lady Gaga and people’s tastes and attention spans had changed. This time around Xtina wasn’t so lucky. People accused her of biting Gaga’s style and the album flopped. Truthfully it wasn’t a bad album at all, but she stopped promoting it and kind of ran away with her tail tucked betwixt her curvy thighs.

Ok, so two years have gone by and Xtina is on TV with The Voice and was part of “Moves Like Jagger” which was a smash. Sounds like a great time to put an album out and reclaim your position as a pop diva! A few months back her single for “Your Body” leaked. It instantly had people talking as the chorus included the F bomb. I didn’t like it, but by the time I heard the mastered song I was hooked. I was really excited for her to return to musical relevance. Max Martin is a Swedish genius who was behind the catchiest song of all time, Since U Been Gone. It seemed like Xtina was ready to break the top 10 again. Sadly no one else seemed to be on board like me and it didn’t break the top 10.

The rest of the CD has a bunch of different sounds. Oddly enough it still feels a bit more cohesive than Bionic. It’s a step in the right direction, but at this point in the game she needs to be leaping and not stepping. There aren’t many tracks that standout as surefire smashes to me so I’m curious to see what she picks for singles. This CD will be a tough sell as I don’t think Xtina really has her own lane. Britney gives us dance/pop music. Brandy went back to her R&B roots and is finding success there. Xtina has always liked to dabble in different genres and try new things, which is admirable, but can also be confusing. Who is her demographic?

To end this on a positive note, I will say that I actually like the album. I have missed all of the melismas and powerhouse vocals that Xtina brings. Here’s a breakdown track by track:





Lotus Intro: Has an interesting start and the track sounds like it’s building up to be something epic. Then it stops before we get to that point. The song feels like Xtina is basically telling us that she is sick of being seen as some has been and is ready for some serious rebirth. Sounds like SOMEONE has been paying attention at yoga class! She sounds surprisingly restrained in the vocal delivery.

Army of Me: This promises to be an anthem in the same vein as “Fighter” The chorus seems like it’d be fun to sing along drunkenly. It’s kind of dance-y but it doesn’t go far enough in my opinion. I think a good remix could really take this song to the next level.

Red Hot Kind of Love: Upbeat song, but the production is a bit too cluttered for my liking. There is so much going on that I kind of don’t know where to focus. The vibe makes me think of a jam band having fun in someone’s garage.

Make the World Move: This also has a jam band feel to it. This features Cee Lo. It’s decent, but for two talented musicians it is kind of overwhelming. I really hope Cee Lo brings out his white cat for the video.

Your Body: Ok so this song what I needed from Xtina. It has her in the same pocket where she was for “Moves Like Jagger” and I really don’t mind that at all. This is a great pop record that sticks with you. The chorus is fun to belt out, but beware; I think I have done permanent damage to my vocal chords. So worth it.

Let There Be Love: This song is backed by a throbbing beat and is a fun dance song. It’s probably the first track on here that is truly a dance song. Army of Me kinda pussyfoots in fist pump territory, but this song actually just goes all the way. Once again Max Martin does it for me.

Sing for Me: Xtina slows it down and gets really introspective with her lyrics. It allows her to not only gush about how much she loves singing, but allows her to belt and showcase her pipes through a bunch of runs and melismas.

Blank Page: The production here is quite stripped. It’s just Xtina and a piano. She sounds good here. Another nice song by Sia, who apparently is having the best year ever.

Cease Fire: I don’t know what it is about this track, but it sounds so BIG and dramatic that I can’t help but love it. It goes along with that whole notion that love is a battlefield.

Around the World: It’s pretty much Xtina talking about getting freaky all over the world. At times she has a bit of an island feel to her delivery.

Circles: This song has Xtina telling folks to sit on her middle finger and spin in circles. DEEP. Once again she is giving me some RIhanna vibes with her delivery. For me, the chorus is such a disconnect from the rest of the song that it kinda just messes it up.

Best of Me: Total empowerment song. Her vocals soar over a track that starts out really sparse and then builds to a big, dramatic end.

Just a Fool: Blake Shelton is on this song and surprisingly enough, I love the country vibe of it. The two sound great together Blake proves that he is able to keep up with Xtina’s powerhouse vocals.

Light Up the Sky: Decent song with a pretty chorus and an uplifting message.

Empty Words: I actually really like the lyrics in this song.

Shut Up: Dirrty Xtina is back and as foul mouthed as ever! “Shut up, just the fuck up” is pretty much the chorus of the song. Well the bleep out the “Fuck” but we all know what she is saying. And as a tribute to the late, great Whitney Houston, Xtina even says “Kiss my Ass!” I can’t decide whether bleeping out most of the expletives is genius or annoying.

Your Body Remix: No. Why mess with a great pop gem only to do some tired ass remix?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

is it a coincidence that Swedish and genius [almost] rhyme? I think not, Boyd!

Alicia said...

that was me