Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ian's Favourite Things: Solo Noir



Look under your seat!! Ok, I don't have Oprah cash so you won't be getting these prodcuts I feature, but you'll be up on some great things that I've found.


One of my Homewood-Flossmoor HS classmates recently contacted me on Facebook and told me about a skin care line that she had started. She probably didn't know this at the time, but I LOVE anything that has to do with skin and grooming. My bathroom cabinet looks like a mini Sephora pop up shop and I am always looking to try the newest and best. Giving me a sample of her line could prove an easy sell to a shopaholic, or a tough one, as I am pretty knowledgeable.


I was sent a sample of her collection and I was actually impressed just by the packaging. It was simple, modern and masculine. I shook off that initial awe, so I could be objective when discussing the product. I weened myself off my skin care regiment, which includes cleansers, toners, and moisturisers from different companies that I've found to work best for me. I hadn't shaved for most of November and had a face full of coarse and painful hair. It was time to put Solo Noir to the test.

I started out with Sleek, which is a Pre Shave Oil/Shaving Cream. I saw the word "cream" and got nervous, as I tend to prefer something more like Jack Black's beard lube as it is transparent and doesn't clog the razor. Sleek actually wasn't like most creams I have tried and actually gave me the same sort of shave that a beard lube would.

I followed up with Brave, which is the aftershave and toner. There was no burning as I applied it and it had a pleasant smell to it.

To end my shave, I used Smooth, the conditioner and smoother. It has a light consistency. It was a great finish to a shave, which sometimes can leave my skin feeling less than great. The main drawback with this product is that it doesn't have SPF in it, to which I have grown accustomed. This line is organic, so most compounds that we use as SPF wouldn't be allowed. I'm a person who needs the SPF included as I forget it and when I do remember I haven't really found many stand alone sunscreens that don't leave a gross residue on my face.

The cleanser for this line is called Dapper. I like how it left my face feeling after using it. Keeping with the two in one theme, Dapper has toner in it. A few times during my trial period, I used Refined, the buff and cleanse. This is mild and feels like you are exposing new skin, not bone. I liked it for that reason. Some exfoliants out there are so rough under the guise of helping get rid of dead skin layers, but go way too far and leave the skin feeling sensitive and dry.


Overall, I will say that I was impressed by this line. The organic slant to the line is nice. Your skin is the body's largest organ and says a lot to the world. Why try to eat healthy and workout, only to wash your face with chemicals you cannot pronounce? It was nice to see that although Solo Noir didn't rid me of acne or stop ingrown hairs (I have clear skin and don't really get ingrowns) it was able to give me the same results as my other products minus the chemicals. On top of that, I absolutely love the way it smells. It has a light scent which is pleasant, but not overpowering. Job well done, Solo Noir! The men's skincare industry has been blowing up over the past decade but I haven't really come across many lines that seemed tailor made for me. They have found a fan in me.


If you are interested, visit Solo Noir online @ www.solonoir.com

No comments: