Friday, February 1, 2013

BHM Day 1: Dr. Dre




I don’t know if it’s just me, but I get REAL excited come February. Is it because I’m in love and ready to celebrate Valentine’s Day with my boo? Hell to the no! It’s Black History Month (BHM) and I get to shine my BHM spotlight wherever I so please. I may shine it on people who have influenced me. I may shine it on people that mainstream America might not know. Hell, I might just shine my light on some person who people just don’t talk about just so they have something that pops up if one were to look them up on Google. (I’m staring RIGHT at you, Latoya Jackson)


So today I went to T-Mobile to replace my phone which has been possessed by a sassy black woman named Thelma who REFUSES to do what she’s told. I saw a phone that came with Beat by Dr. Dre. I got to thinking “This man has truly figured out how to brand himself” He went from some headphones which I thought were just ridiculously overpriced neckwarmers (I since changed my stance after getting a pair. Thanks Simone!) to adding his stamp on laptops, speakers and even cell phones. It was estimated that he made 110 MILLION dollars between May 2011 and May 2012. Excuse me while I adjust my boner.

Dr. Dre became a household name as a member of N.W.A. He went on to launch the careers of Snoop Dogg (I refuse to call him Lion), Eminem, 50 cent, The Game, and Kendrick Lamar. He has released CDs which are seen as classics and also worked on classics for other artists. I honestly think the man is a musical genius. He hasn’t released a CD since 1999 and apparently is on his Guns N Roses bullshit. He has promised us “Detox” for over a decade and has yet to deliver. Why? BECAUSE HE IS DR. DRE AND DOESN’T NEED TO FOLLOW TIMELINES.

Personally, I think he is smart to not release an album. Hip Hop is a young man’s game and most of his greatness would most likely be lost on the ADHD riddled youth who buy (read: bootleg) music today. Instead, Dre has decided to pimp the game and make an assload of money. For that I salute him!

A couple videos for you to enjoy. Plug in your Beats by Dre and turn this ish UP!





No comments: