Monday, February 25, 2013

BHM Day 23: Solange Knowles





So many people don’t know that Beyonce has a sister who has not one but THREE albums out. (Well two albums and an EP) Solange Piaget Knowles is the younger, often over looked sister who seems to finally have found her stride. For that, I think she is deserving of today’s BHM spotlight. I mean, one can’t be THAT Beyonce adjacent and NOT get some shine.

When Solo first hit the scene, she came out styled very Rastafarian and it seemed pretty odd. Her first CD, “Solo Star” was actually decent. I don’t think many people other than me and her mama actually bought it. Fun fact: Solange was actually supposed to be in a group with Ashlee Simpson at one point. I couldn’t have made that shit up if I tried. Random as hell, but true.

Most artists who flop like Solo don’t get a second chance, but Beyonce’s sister did. She put out Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams and actually got some critical praise for her single “I Decided” It seemed like she was poised to take her rightful place and the heir to Bey’s throne. Then that CD flopped and I thought it was over for Solo and singing. She then turned to DJ’ing which annoyed me as it seems to be what everyone was doing. It turned out that she wasn’t half bad at it thought. Who knew?!

It was around this time that I started to see a different side of Solo. She went from being sweet and media trained to ratchet as hell. I LOVED seeing it. She would go on social media and threaten to push back the wig of anyone who tried to come for her sister. She went on a Fox News program and the first words out of her mouth were PURE SHADE. Basically Solo just let it be known that Beyonce was the one who had to pretend to care and give fucks, but without that level of fame she was free to meet you in the parking lot and whip your ass. Damn, I love this woman.

Recently, Solange has become quite the fashionista. She is constantly photographed wearing up and coming designers and being right on trend. She’s back to making music and seems to have found her calling: Being to hipsters what Beyonce is to the masses. I think it’s great to see her finally find her lane and be able to exist as more than Beyonce’s sister/stunt double. Ok, I don’t know if she was ever Bey’s stunt double, but that’s totally some shit I could see Matthew Knowles putting her up to.

I have always freaking loved this song:

No comments: