Monday, February 25, 2013

BHM Day 22: Accountants




Today’s BHM spotlight is gonna shine brightly upon accountants. Black accountants? Sure, whynot! I am actually shining this light on the whole profession of accounting because wealthy black folks need to learn how to stay wealthy. I know that somewhere in my tens and tens of readers there Is a black celebrity out there that will find some use from today’s BHM spotlight.

Black folks going broke isn’t really new. I think Black folks often feel that pressure to stay fresh to death and I’m working out my hypothesis about it being in our DNA. When I was growing up, I remember hearing when MC Hammer went from having 30 million to basically being flat broke. People were so amazed that something like that could happen so fast. Toni Braxton followed suit and filed bankruptcy not once but twice. The hell? I mean, maybe the first time she missed Hammer’s Behind the Music” but two times? Damn, son!
Beyond spending too much money, it seems like a ridiculous amount of black celebrities find themselves in trouble with the IRS. How people like Chris Tucker and Lauryn Hill think it’s ok to not pay taxes is beyond me. I make a fraction of these people and freak the F out every year during tax season because I’m afraid of going to jail. I mean, people like me aren’t built for jails. I’m tall and need lots of space. Plus, have you people seen me? They’d be trading me for cases of Newports in NO time. OK, so this just became about me. Ugh. Sorry.

Black celebrities, I need you to listen up: HIRE ACCOUNTANTS. The same way you go out and find a good jeweler and car customizer, I really need you to go out and find someone who will ensure that you won’t have to go on a reality show just to make ends meet. We all know who does these shows for the money and it’s NEVER a good look. You’ve worked hard to get your money, so why not do everything you can to protect it? I really need the stories of people like Mary J. Blige going broke to end. You’ve all been put on notice and have no excuse any longer. You’re welcome.




No comments: