Tuesday, February 12, 2013

BHM Day 7: Phil Drummond







Ok, it’s not that I don’t LOVE BHM, but I had to stop doing a daily post because I decided to take some ME time. I went on vacation and kind of unplugged, which was nice. I’m sure Rosa Parks and them would be happy to see me living my life and doing ho shit in NYC. Kidding. (sort of) I will be doing two posts a day until I am caught up, because I am JUST that dedicated and have THAT much free time to give to this project of mine. I started it, and I’m sure as hell gonna finish it. Ok!?

So today I want to shine the BHM spotlight on Phil Drummond. He was the rich white man from Diff’rent Strokes” who adopted two black kids into his amazing Upper East Side apartment. Sure he could have adopted children that looked more like him, but he said “NO!” and went with his heart. Keep in mind this was in a time waaay before Angelina and Brad made it cool to adopt children of other backgrounds. Phil Drummond saw through to the true character of those boys. Sure they were a tax break for him, but deep within their souls, they possessed all the potential in the world. Deep stuff.

For Phil Drummond’s pioneering ways in interracial adoption, I shine my BHM light on him. I could have shone it on George from “Webster” but I liked Phil and his show better. Webster DID have access to a sick dumbwaiter, which I suppose deserves mention. Let’s thank these men for giving me the hope that one day I too, might be snatched up and whisked away to live the rich and fabulous life I was meant to have. It’s all about hopes and dreams, isn’t it?



No comments: