Thursday, February 14, 2013

BHM Day 11: Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben





I was grocery shopping in my typical fashion ( me running up and down every aisle in a crazed pace and looking like a contestant from “Supermarket Sweep”) when I had a revelation. Well actually I had a few. First, Supermarket Sweep was an AMAZING show. Second, I totally should probably start making grocery lists. Finally I started thinking about Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben. I’m no histrorian and I’m far too lazy to look up the details of these brands, but it seems as if they were both established after slavery. So, who thought it’d be a great idea to have their products represented to mainstream America by characters who conjured up memories of slaves?

I’ll tell you who: WHITE PEOPLE. I just have always found the whole Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth, Uncle Ben thing to be so fascinating. Growing up, I remember seeing commercials for these products and the characters were always talking to wholesome, all- American families who 1) didn’t look anything like me and 2) sure as hell didn’t look like they should be calling these people their aunt or uncle. Somehow these characters managed to stand the test of time and became iconic. Aunt Jemima equals pancakes. Uncle Ben is my go to guy for rice. (just kidding. I actually prefer jasmine or just plain brown rice for those of you who care)

So today I am shining my BHM spotlight on Ben, Jemima, Rasus and even Mrs. Butterworth. They were one of the first waves of black “celebrities” to cross lines and enter the homes and hearts. of white people all over. They opened the doors for the likes of Will Smith. For that we should all be thankful. They also serve as a reminder of ignorance, from times (not so) long ago. Damn, now I REALLY want some pancakes. Ugh.

No comments: