Monday, February 4, 2013

BHM Day 4: Ru Paul





Today on this fourth day of BHM, I have decided to shine my light on a zestleperson who has managed to cross over into mainstream America. No, I’m not talking about Tevin Campbell or that little boy from “Who’s the Boss?” (he’s not even Black, y’all!!” I speak of the one and only RuPaul. Ru has been around for a long ass time. I remember my sister blaring the HELL out of her “Supermodel” single when she was working on her signature runway walk. Ru had a show on “VH1” that was actually not horrible. Oddly enough, I started saying “That’s hot” when I heard it on that talk show which was YEARS before that white girl Paris Hilton, tried to trademark it. White people stay trying to take credit!

Ok, well a club song and a show on VH1 doesn’t really make you relevant. RuPaul came around with “Ru Paul’s Drag Race” and the show really caught on. It wasn’t really groundbreaking and just pretty much stole from ANTM and Project Runway, yet it seemed so fresh and fun. The gays LOVED it. Soon the non gays were catching on and even starting to get hip to the drag queen lingo. I had girls calling me “hunty” and asking to see my “cunt” (umm, ew) Even as Logo decided to get rid of gay programming in an attempt to reach a broader audience, they kept Drag Race. That’s how you know you’re a boss. Given Beyonce's scandal over lip synching,Ru Paul's "Lip-synch for your LIFE" has had the best fortnight EVER.



Ru has left a mark on the world. Thanks to him up and coming queens have some big stilettos to fill. Now, people aren’t just going to be satisfied with a tight lace front and a stellar tuck job; you’ve got to affect some sort of change in the world. When Ru hangs up his heels, it'll be up to the next generation of black zestlemen to give white people fun catch phrases. You all have your work cut out for you, DON'T FUCK IT UP.



No comments: