Tuesday, February 19, 2013

BHM Day 19: Sweet Brown



If you tell me you're not jealous of Shemar Moore in the above photo, I'mma call you a damn liar!



So I was going to really spend today talking about a historical Black leader of the community who helped make the world a better place. I then, realized that I didn’t feel like doing any research and one phrase came to mind: “Ain’t nobody got time for that!” It was at that point that I was like “Duh, talk about the American treasure known simply as Sweet Brown” Don’t you just love when great things come to you?

If you don’t know who Sweet Brown is, you are 1) living under a rock and 2) not living at all. She is a magical being who came to us in a viral video, where she told her story of going out for a cold pop and coming across flames. FLAMES I SAY! The way in which she tells the story is just precious. Her face lights up and she really takes you back to her complex and you can actually smell the smoke. She is a wordsmith, not unlike the great Maya Angelou.
Beyond her way with words, Sweet Brown has also helped talk about the important of issue. Before her , no one had time for it (get it?) but she brought national exposure to this super unimportant matter. Talk about using one’s celebrity for good! I sure hope Kim Kardashian’s trifling ass is paying attention.

The Sweet Brown video is old as hell, yet she has managed to stretch out her 15 minutes of fame. She could have gone the way of that sweet, sweet zestleman, Antoine Dodson, but she has decided to stick around. Can someone please cue up Beyonce’s “I Was Here”? Truthfully I think she just happened to luck into a phrase that just applies so often in people’s everyday life.


Example:
Boss Lady: Ian, can you please go through those email I sent you to find that one file whose name I can’t remember right now?
Ian: Ain’t nobody got time for that!

Or

Restaurant patron on a busy Friday night: Can you please go through your wine list and tell me about every single offering?!

Bitchy server who has bigger and better tipping tables: Girl, ain’t nobody got time for that!

See, it really does work for just about anyone at any time. With just six simple words Sweet Brown has found a way to unite the masses. It doesn’t matter where you’re from or your economic status, her words bond people. BHM is all about unity and today BHM is about Sweet Brown.

You know you’ve seen it, but you know you can’t stop watching it:





Oh, and Beyonce likes her too:


No comments: