Friday, March 1, 2013

BHM Day 28: Kid 'N Play






I know that people think they Diddy, Jennifer Hudson and Beyonce are doing something special by being triple threats, but I'm here to let you know that they didn't pioneer black celebrities wearing multiple hats. You know who did? Of course not, you ignant as hell! Kid 'n Play don't get the credit that they deserve.

They released 3 gold albums. If you asked me to hum one of their hits you'd be waiting for a long ass time. The duo wasn't happy just collecting those checks from music, so they branched into movies. They starred in a few House Party movies which ultimately lead to America being introduced to Martin Lawrence (thanks guys!) and Tisha Campbell (umm.. thanks again... *side eye*) Did you know that "House Party" was originally written with Fresh Prince (you may know him know as Will "I'm not gay" Smith) and DJ Jazzy(Hey, I matter too!) Jeff? Probably not as I know tons of shit that people don't know.

Kid 'n Play then moved to the small screen. They had their own cartoon on Saturday morning. That's pretty impressive as I can only remember Hammer having one. It was pretty dumb but I still watched it. The things I do to support black people! THe last time I heard from either member was on one of those "I love the 90s" shows. Kid (the light one) looked REAL aged and it was a mind blow as I imagined those two being forever young.


To help round out their triple threatedness, the duo also has a dance and hairstyle named after them. Like Beyonce is bad, but she doesn't haven't her dance (yet) Rihanna has her signature pussy pat move, but doesn't have a hairstyle of her own. Kid 'n Play managed to do both. Because they wouldn't settle for being a rap group whose music I would soon forget, I must shine my BHM spotlight on the group Kid 'n Play.

Anyone else feel like doing the Kid 'n Play?!



No comments: