Friday, March 1, 2013

BHM Day 29: Kanye West




Ok, so I do have a calendar and I am fully aware that TECHNICALLY BHM is over. I think it's garbage that BHM is the shortest month, so I have decided to stick it to the man and continue posting for a normal calendar month. Today I want to celebrate Kanye West. He's a producer, rapper, designer, and America's stunt queen and today we will give him the shine he knows he deserves!


Yeezy automatically earned points from me by repping Chicago. I fux with people who know what Harold's Chicken is all about. To this day I think that his first CD is a classic and I've been on board with him musically ever since. I truly think the man is a genius. I think that he's going to be the type of artist who we fully appreciate only after he is dead and gone. When I think of Kanye, I'm reminded of the Lauryn Hill line of "I say a muthafucka, so you ignant niggas hear me" Yes, he brags, boasts and uses foul language, but I think it's just to get our attention so he can get his greater message across. Listen to a Kanye track with good headphones and you can hear just how many layers of sound that he incorporates into his music. Then adding in his lyrics and the music is taken to a whole new level. I know I sound like I've been drinking the Yeezy Kool Aid, but I don't care. I think he's dope and if you've got a problem with it, feel free to kiss my ass!


Kanye has always been a well together man. His style has evolved since he's hit the scene and he's even wearing leather skirts and whatnot. To that, I say "get in where you git in, whore! Go on and TWIRL!" He dabbled in gym shoes and then put on a full fledged fashion show of women's designs. I can't recall any other rapper putting out a non urban/streetwear collection. It got panned by critics, but you gotta admire the man for trying. Now his new thing is wearing masks. He INSISTS on serving us mere mortals Scarecrow from Batman meets Phantom of the Opera. This is the part where we must deal.

I love Kanye's rants. Remember when he was talking about how Bush didn't care about Black people? That shit was so awkward. Then he went on and interrupted Taylor Swift's MTV speech and everyone made him out to be such a villain. He wasn't. The man was stating facts. Was his timing ill advised? HELL YES, but the truth is the truth. Now look, everyone is hating on Taylor left and right. Kanye was a pioneer in the hate game. I think one of his best rants was about his art. He is sensitive about his art. I think the quote was "I may be flawed, but my music is perfect" I think that says so much. Yes, he's extra and a bit much, but at the end of the day he makes great music and is passionate about it which is so rare these days.

Kanye has recently impregnated Kim Kardashian. Screw the Grammy awards and critical acclaim, fatherhood might end up being his greatest achievement. I have no doubt that he'll be a great dad. I feel like he's a great godmother (yes, I said mother.)to Blue Ivy already. We all need to just lift him up at our next prayer circle so that Brother Kanye can turn that ho into a housewive and NOT just a baby mama. Good luck with that Kanye!





you all probably thought I was going to go the Gold Digger route didn't you? Too easy. Far too easy.

No comments: