Monday, March 18, 2013

New Music: Beyonce: "Bow Down/I Been On"



So late last year, Rihanna started selling tickets for her world tour. I didn’t buy tickets as it was a tour to support her unreleased album. I know I am a Rihanna fan, but what if I didn’t like the CD? Rih isn’t exactly known for dancing and performing as much as she is known for pouting, posing and pussy patting. I decided to pass and when I first heard “Unapologetic” I was glad I did. I have since grown to like the album, but I’m still not running out to buy overpriced tickets to see her.

Now, Beyonce went ahead and did the same damn thing. She performed at the Super Bowl and then announced a concert right after. She was allegedly going to premiere a new song but never did, leaving people in the dark about the new sound/direction of the CD. All she did was release a long commercial with her dressed all regal like and being fabulous to an eerie ass track that stayed with me for a long while after hearing it. Would you believe that I tried my damndest to buy tickets to see Beyonce perform what could amount to her worst CD ever? If you are shocked, then you clearly don’t know me. I would pay good money to hear that woman read my W-2 to me.

So yesterday Beyonce released some new music. I was starting to wonder what her plans were, as her tour kicks off in less than a month and she hadn’t released any music or videos. You know you are bad as hell when you can get people to pay a premium on blind faith. Beyonce made it clear with her last CD that she’s just gonna make the music she wants to and we will all have to deal with it. “Bow Down”/”I Been On” is unlike anything I’ve ever really heard from Bey. She is cussing and telling bitches to bow down. My heart leaps every single time that woman says a cuss word. She’s just being cocky. The beat sounds like it would have fit well on her husband’s “Watch the Throne” album (It was produced by the same producer of Niggas in Paris) and gets chopped and screwed. Apparently Justin and Beyonce are making it their goal to make chopped and screwed the hotness in mainstream music.

Is this track my all time fave? Nope. Am I excited by it? Hell yes. It’s different and I like to see people like Beyonce and Justin Timberlake step out of their comfort zones and try new things. I wish she would have sung on “I Been On” as that track is SICK. Then part of me thinks it’s kind of cool that she went left on that track. When I heard it, I thought she was going to go for another “Halo” or “Ava Maria” track but she married her operatic vocals in the backround to some grimey lyrics.
The rapping and shit talking will have people talking. Hell Keyshia Cole made it clear on Twitter that she isn’t a fan. She called Bey out for being “girls stick together!” one minute and being all “bow down bitches” the next. She has a point. I just don’t think it’s that good of one, but whatever. Everyone has an opinion, I just figured after Kelendria Rowland checked her for coming for Michelle Williams (the black one) she would have learned to keep her mouth shut. The Beyhive is NOT to be fucked with.

Did I really just write 600 words about ONE track? Damn I should probably invest this time and energy in learning a new language or something. Check out the song for yourself! Also can we just discuss the cover art?




No comments: