Wednesday, March 21, 2012

New Music: The Misunderstanding of Teyana Taylor


Teyana Taylor has a special place in my heart. I first grew to like her when I saw her on "My Super Sweet 16" on MTV. She was a cool chick and was more of a skateboard chick than a bratty princess. In the show we found out that she was signed to Pharell. It all seemed like she was poised to be the next Kelis. I mean, she had the raspy voice, the big curly hair and the attitude/style. On top of that, she rapped AND danced. This girl was clearly a threat.

But then she wasn't. She released a single "Google Me" and that was the last I really heard from her. I would randomly come across her Youtube videos with her dancing or covering other people's songs. Then I started hearing about her getting into fights over her friend, Chris Brown. The hell? THEN she started getting involved in Twitter wars. SHe was pulling a Ciara and getting attention for all the wrong reasons.

It all seemed to be turning around when she got featured on Kanye's "Christmas in Harlem" and "Dark Fantasy" People even started to say that she was about to be signed to G.O.O.D music. She started to get her shit together and got back to putting out music. She dropped a mixtape last week and I am freaking in love with it. It has so many references to Janet, Michael Jackson, and Lauryn HIll, but it's not like she is biting. Clearly she is a girl who grew up with good music. On this mixtape we are hearing her sing more than rap. She is even ballsy enough to sing the hook to Lauryn's "Doo Wop (That Thing)" and she does it well. This mixtape is perfect for spring, as it's fresh, breezy and keeps all things ratchet to a minimum. I like "Make Your Move" "DUI" and "Valentine"

Get it below:

http://www.rap-up.com/2012/03/11/new-music-teyana-taylor-the-misunderstanding-of-teyana-taylor-mixtape/


P.S. So Teyana got in trouble for fighting again. This time with a stripper named skrawberry. I. Just. Can't.

No comments: