Monday, March 5, 2012

New Music Video: It All Belongs to Me

I remember when The Boy is Mine came out. It was a long time ago and I remember working in Kmart for a sidewalk sale and being amped because they let me play the radio while I worked outside. HOLLER! Anyway, that song came on like 234283423 times during my shift and I loved every moment. There was the nice play between saccharine sweet Brandy and Monica who always seemed to have a little more edge and sass to her. The video was cute and people ate it up. Believe it or not, that was 14 years ago. That shit cray!

Today the pair released their follow up collaboration. Despite people rumbling about them hating one another and diva attitudes, the two both seem to be cool with one another. I guess it's a cold cold world, when Beyonce comes along and snatches your wig... NO but seriously, think about it: they both were doing major things in the industry and then they both stumbled and never really recovered. Monica had sort of a comeback with her last album, but even that was kind of scary and felt like it was her last chance. Brandy is in that same boat now, where it's do or die. I guess they figured "let our powers combine!!!"

The result is nice. It's not "The Boy is Mine" but I am alright with that because I'd be pissed if they tried to mess with the same formula. They'd get a HARD "now you know you are too old for that bullshit!" side eye. This song was written by Rico Love (he wrote Kelly's "Motivation" Beyonce's "Sweet Dreams" and Keri Hilson's "Energy") and is basically about a girl who is taking all of her stuff back from her triflin man. It's kind of along the same line as "Irreplaceable" but kicked up a notch. The thing about this song is that is pissing people off is the fact that it doesn't HAVE to be a duet. The girls are just trading verses with minimal singing together. But that's kind of how "The Boy is Mine" is. I think it felt more duet like because of the whole story of two girls fighting over a boy that is set up in the intro.

Anyway, I like the song and they both KILLED the vocals. I seriously feel like people sleep on Brandy's voice. She's really gotten good at mastering it's low, rich quality. Monica has vocal runs for days and I'm ok with that. The video is actually pretty boring to me, but they both look awesome. Will this be the mega smash comeback single they both need? Probably not, but hey, they tried and it's not a train wreck. I give them an A for effort.


No comments: