Thursday, March 22, 2012

Open Letter: Kimberly "Lil Kim" Jones



I worked an overnight last night and I took a shower before going into work. This song was in my head and it stuck with me all night. I thought about how much I loved your verse in it and how to this day people remember it line for line. Then I thought that I haven't really heard memorable verses from you in a minute. You got so involved in changing your face (I'm going to leave that for another letter at another time) and shooting back at Nicki, that you lost sight of the music. The same way fans asked for "Old Nicki" I am wanting "Old Kim" I get that flows change and people do as well, but I still want a girl that spits with hunger and fire behind it. Don't rest of your classic lines, create new, even better classics.

I really do want you to win. Get to the studio and give the people what they want! I'm not asking for the pause, stop flow that everyone from Nicki to Big Sean are doing. I'm not asking you to grab your glowsticks and jump on the Guetta train. I'm asking you to do you. I have been listening to your CDs this past week and I'm finding songs that weren't singles that were doing some pretty different and innovative things. In "Can you Hear Me Now" you said:

My last album, some of y'all wasn't ready for it
Alright, I slow it up, put the brakes on for ya
I know what I'm doin, I ain't losin my mind
I'm just so advanced I'm ahead of my time
You all stuck at the back, I'm ahead of the line
Even in the dark, I'm still gon' shine
You'll see what I mean in 2009
I kick outer space raps - ILL RHYMES

You could not have called it any better. Sorry for that slap of reality. Maybe this awesome photo I peeped at Missjia.com will make you feel better! See, the whole time you were going after Nicki, when it looks like Drake is droppin down low and sweeping even more flo' than both of you heiffas!










No comments: