Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Rehab

Dear Rihanna,

I have always been a fan of yours. I liked you when you were a dancehall pop tart in "Pon De Replay." When they upped your budget and gave you a makeover for "SOS" and "Unfaithful" I was applauded. When the good girl went bad, I was bought it immediately. I am a sucker for pop music and you make music that is just so freaking infectious, I cannot resist. I will say that you did lose cool points for re-releasing your last CD. I hate when people do that. I felt punished for buying it the first day it came out. I downloaded the bonus tracks (not from ITUNES, thank you!) just to act out.

Ok, enough back round. The reason I am writing you this letter is because of your refusal to go back to the studio. What happened to the Rihanna that released like 3 albums in 2 years or some crap? Granted, you were new to the game and trying to figure out your sound/look/ethnicity or what have you, but come on. Ne-YO did the same thing, and he's hit his stride, but continues to produce records.
Rehab is like the 16 single she's released from the CD. I am waiting for her to do a video setting the liner notes to music and her posing and mean mugging on a Bentley. If you steal my idea, I will hunt you down. No, but seriously, the days of releasing more than 4 singles are over. It kind of ended with Michaek and Thriller. Now society cannot stay focused on people long enough, so you have to re-invent yourself and release albums reminding us that you are, in fact, still worth your fleeting attention.

This video is really pretty. It reminds me of the photo shoot Posh and Becks did for W magazine. I love seeing people in the desert. Film it in black and white and add ten points. Up the dramatic factor by having everyone give their best "I wanna Oscar" face and I'm sold. I will say that the video is just pretty and not interesting in the least. Tons of posing and fierce looks, but nothing that moving. A song with lyrics like this one could have gone as dramatic(al) as the 'Unfaithful" video. Then again, if she's too lazy to release NEW music, then I guess she's probably too lazy to actually do anything but a beauty video.




P.S. Is is me, or does it look like she's wearing diapers? That green outfit is too funny. I don't care how much you purse your lips, you look like your ish is WET! Oh, and does her tattoo on her neck look like it's spreading? Like a rash? I'm concerned.

No comments: