Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sol Angel



It is no secret that I openly stan for Beyonce. What may be a little less known is the fact that I have actually liked her sister Solange since the beginning. I'm not one of these Johnny Come Lately types that are all up on her ovaries because she has a popular song out. I am pretty sure if was me and her extended family that bought her first record. If you are feeling adventurous, check out the song "Crush" It was produced by the Neptunes and I have always liked the general vibe of the song.
I went out and bought Solange's newest cd, Solange Presents: Sol-angel and the Hadley St. Dreams. Yay for Target having it for 6.98! I was a bit nervous about the whole thing because people were comparing it to Amy Winehouse. I love Amy, but I just think people need to stop doing the same ish over and over. Plus Amy has the pipes that seem to work with that throwback sound, whereas Solange is um, a good dancer. At any rate, Solo seems committed to really doing this new project right. She worked with Cee-Lo of Goodie Mob and the more famous Gnarls Barkley as well as the Neptunes. Mark Ronson, who brought back this whole Motown sound has a song on there as well. Here's a quick blow by blow:

1.) God Given Name- She's talking about the pressure of living up to people's expectations. Not too much reading between the lines on this song. "I'm no 'sister' I'm just my God-given name"
2.)T.O.N.Y.- A song about a one night stand that she regrets. People regret those? Hm. Interesting. Kidding.
3.) Dancing in the Dark- I like the beat of this song. The horns in the backround are catchy. It's fun and makes me want to jerk it out (the dance, you suck fucks)
4.) Would've Been the One- This sounds like Little Jackie (in a good way) it's a catchy song.
5.)Sandcastle Disco-the beginning reminds me of "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John. She is talking about being tough on the outside but compares herself to a sandcastle that can be blown away. I love it.
6.) I Decided Pt 1-This is the single that everyone Hasn't heard. It's the original. It's stripped down to a hand clap backing. She is giving us some raw emotion on this song. I think it's at the very top of her vocal register. It works.
7.)Valentine's Day- This song is whatever for me. It almost would have been better as a shorter interlude.
8.) 6 O'Clock Blues- I love the groove of this track. This is the Mark Ronson track and it's pretty evident that he really knows what he's doing with this genre. It sounds pretty effortless. IT reminds me of the Staple Singers for some reason.
9.) Ode to Marvin- Is this supposed to be her modern day "What's Goin On?" It's alright, but not nearly effective as Marvin. Hoe, sit down.
10.) I Told You So- It feels like she's really trying to show off whatever vocal chops she thinks she has. The beat is simple enough to let her shine.
11.) Cosmic Journey- This song is tripped out. If I did drugs I'd say that this would be a song to smoke a joint to and contemplate your navel. I really like this track though.
12.) This Bird- Another trippy track. It sounds like she kinda jacked Amel Larrieux's thing on this song, but it's alright. I ain't mad.
13.) I Decided Part II- Same song as before, but Freemason's punched the beat up a bit.

Overall, I'd have to give this effort three snaps (fo' the kids, of course) in a circle.

No comments: