Friday, October 3, 2008

Fearless



So I have been loving Jazmine Sullivan for a minute and her album finally came out last week. I snapped that ish up with a quickness and boy am I glad I did! She lived up to the hype and I would have gladly paid full price for her album. FULL PRICE, that is serious, given the current price of oil and the recession. Here's a breakdown:

1.) Bust Your Windows: As the title implies, it's about bustin someone's windows out after they messed with your heart. I have never really wanted to do something that drastic, but it's dramatic and I'm a sucker for a dramatic chick (see: Mariah) This is a bomb ass revenge song

2.)Need You Bad: The single that is blowing up. It has Pepa from Salt N Pepa. I like the reggae vibe. It's a sharp contrast to the opening number. This one is more like "damn, I should have never left you. you were the ish.."

3.) My Foolish Heart: I like the beat. It reminds me of A.D.I.D.A.S. by Killer Mike

4.) Lions, Tigers and Bears: I LOVE this song. It's about being afraid to fall in love. As someone who is dead inside, it's nice to know that there are other people out there who aren't so quick to fall in love.

5.) Call Me Guilty: This is a bit dramatic for me. It's about domestic abuse and whether or not she should catch a case over the mofo.

6.) One Night Stand: "Usually I'm the one that's in the control, i Be the freakum, leave him, move on to the next man" That's how the song starts out. I wish she would stop trying to steal my life! No I kid! kind of.. It's about catching feelings for a one night stand. Kind of a different take on the one night stand.

7.) After the Hurricane: This reminds me of Monica's "Shoulda Known Better" as far as the beat. It's another breakup song, but I don't mean that in a bad way. She sings it with so much raw emotion that you can't help go through it with her.

8.) Dream Big: I guess the album needed a pick-me-up to stop us all from jumping off buildings.

9.) Live a Lie: "if the truth is gonna make me cry, I'd rather just live a lie" Amen J, AMEN.

10.) Fear: She is talking about the many things of which she is afraid. It kind of makes me think of what I'm afraid of. I'm going to have to go with everything.

11.) In Love With Another Man: It's just her and a piano and she's telling her man that she's in love with someone else. It's not the vulgar "I'mma do who I want, what what?!" that people are always saying. This is sweeter and is just about the heart wanting what it wants.

12.) Switch: Kinda cheesy and I could have done without it.


Overall the album is awesome. I can relate to most of the songs on some level. Her voice and delivery make you feel every note and emotion. I know everyone is looking for the next Lauryn Hill (minus the crazy) and as much as I hate to put my faith in people this early on, she has potential. Now if I see her ass on the cover of KING bent over and sucking on a lollipop, I'm deleting this review and I'll refuse to admit to ever having faith in her as an artist.

No comments: