Sunday, January 22, 2012

Road Trip





So last weekend I decided to escape and go to New Orleans to meet up with my friends from Illinois and my friend who lives there. It was last minute, so a flight was crazy expensive. I said, "fuck it!" and got on the road. After working overnight from 9p-4a. I promptly regretted it 4 hours into it when I was STILL very much in Florida. The drive was so lame and I had no one but myself to talk to, which was pretty cool. I did some thinking. I did even more singing which had me sounding very sorority, by the time I hit Louisiana. My iPod was on shuffle and seemed to be on a diva streak, as it kept on picking Christina, Whitney, Beyonce and Mariah songs. They were all vocally challenging. In the future, I will have to make a diva playlist with people like Brandy and Toni Braxton, so I don't strain my voice. I did all 234234 key changes in Beyonce's "Love on Top" and I'm pretty sure I heard something pop on the last change. I'm not even exaggerating.

I made it to NOLA safely. Well, I almost died twice but whatever. First I followed a car and almost ended up driving into oncoming traffic, as he apparently disregarded the one way street. THEN I was on a street and looked up and saw a street car coming at me full speed. That shit was scary. I felt like I was in that scene in "Clueless" when they are driving on the expressway. I made it to Wild Kitty's house and we went and got some food and a few beverages. It was cold as hell (read: 45 degrees) and I thought whiskey was the best way for me to warm up. Turns out I was right.

The next day, I woke up hella early to take a streetcar to the French Quarter to meet up with Ashley and the gang from Illinois. we took a cemetery tour. I didn't mind it, but everyone else was over it, so we bounced and Ashley told us interesting stories. We had a really good lunch and that kicked off a day of drinking. I think the Saints were playing that day, so being the sports fan that I obviously am, I took shots with the group to encourage them to score. IT WORKED. I was so proud and the city felt so electric. Then the 49ers made a play that shut the whole city of New Orleans the hell up. You could have heard a pin drop. We took one more shot but it was too late. Luckily the bartender comped it. I went out that night and say Will Ferrell and a bunch of other people who were in town filming "Dog Fight" Super random, but cool nonetheless.

Next day on like 4.5 hours sleep, I woke up and grabbed food. Then we headed to look at historic homes. We also saw some celeb houses which were cool. Then it was time for more drinking. After like 6 trips to New Orleans I finally made it to Pat O'Brien's. I didnt drink a hurricane, but my margarita was on POINT. I dropped the ladies off and headed to a boy bar. I didn't see any celebrities and it was actually really awesome for a Saturday in Orlando, but just ok for a night in New Orleans. THen I reminded myself that it was a Sunday. IN January. I freaking love that city! I fell in and out of love like 10 times before heading home.

I went home and slept for like 3.5 hours before my family was up and packing to leave. I was super sad leaving them as my time pretty much flew by. It was great seeing them. I went and met up with wild Kitty and we got breakfast. I will say I'm glad I don't live in New Orleans because the food is good and I'm sure it'd be enough to get me back into eating again. After a meal and some real talk, I parted ways with the city I love so much and headed back to Orlando.

I basically came to the conclusion that escaping every now and then is a necessary thing for me. It was just what I needed to clear my head from the residual fuckery of the holidays. I can't wait to do it again. Next time I will fly though.

No comments: