Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Thankful and It's Not Even Thanksgiving!



So usually I don't get swept up in too many viral videos (Anything Shocantelle Brown excluded, obviously) but this video was something that really stuck out to me. I saw it posted on Facebook a few days ago and only today got around to watching it. I'm super glad that I watched it alone, as I cry hella easily. I'm not kidding. I get emotional watching Mary J Blige videos.

The video is a short documentary that talks about the struggle for gays to be seen as normal and equal people. IT touches upon the highs and the lows. It's interesting to see how much has changed, and how much remains to be changed. I guess that is what really resonated with me. I watched this a day after MLK day and so I was already in a space where I was thinking about things and just reflecting. A ten hour car ride alone will have that effect on a person.

Initially this post was just about how amazed at how far America has come. I mean, we have a Black president. I don't care your stance on politics (No, seriously. I don't. So shut up about it) you must admit that is a pretty significant thing. Hell even on a smaller level, I was thinking of my weekend spent in NOLA with my second family. They are White. I am not. I drove across multiple states to be with them and would do it again without hesitation, yet in MLKs day, people weren't allowed to mix like that. I guess that made me smile and think what great strides have been made.

I also then thought about being on Bourbon St, home to excessive drinking, sex shows and general fuckery. I would list the things that I have seen go down on that street, but I am an uncle and I'm trying to keep my blog classy and shit. So anyway, I'm walking down the street and I see two guys with conversation shirts on. I start reading, as I had seen some pretty ridic ones over the course of the weekend. On shirt #1, I read the word "retard" and stop reading as I knew I wouldn't find it funny. I was over this group of guys already, but my eye caught the second shirt, which read "God Hates Fags" I instantly tensed up as I HATE that word. I had a bunch of things running through my head:

1.) Where does someone buy these shirts? 1983? Is this vintage? A re-issue?
2.) Does God love people who make fun of "retards?"
3.) It seems a bit hypocritical to be on Bourbon St AKA sin central with a beer in hand with a shirt talking about God and what He wants
4.) Was this guy born a douchebag or did something happen to him to make him that way?

I had a bunch of questions and I really wanted answers. I didn't feel like making a big deal about it, so I didn't even point it out to the rest of my group. My friend Ashley saw it and got so heated. First I was upset that someone made her upset. Then I felt happy/proud knowing that a straight, white woman from a flat state had my back. For that I am thankful. For Martin's contributions, I am thankful. Even though I am filled with gratitude and feel that others should be as well, I think that people need to not get complacent and always work towards a society where people treat each better. I know that sounds like some hippie bullshit, but it's coming from me and I can't stand patchouli, so there.

No comments: