Friday, September 5, 2008

Brothers from Another Mother





Yesterday my sister in law and I were talking about different cultures. She told me that before she came to the US, Brits, Aussies and Americans all sounded the same to her. I talked about how all Asians used to look and sound the same until I knew some and now I can definitely distinguish between different nationalities. This got me thinking about how white people are always comparing me to other black folk that look nothing like me.

Case in point. The other day I was at Solstice, trying on some sunglasses (they were Armani and Tom Ford. Both looked pretty boss on me in case you wanted to get them for my birthday or new month's present). I was talking to the manager/an acquaintance of mine, when some lady ran up on me. First, don't do that to me. I am really jumpy and have no issue hitting a random woman in the face. Ok, that's a lie. I'd do it, but I'd feel guilty afterwards. Second, she was bossing me around being all "wait, try those on again! now the other ones!!" She was on the high of spending a few hundred on sunglasses, so I decided to amuse her. After pair number 1, she yells out "Lenny Kravitz!!" I then tried on the other ones and she yells out "Chris Rock!!" I was half tempted to make her try on her glasses and yell random white women at her: "Mary-Kate Olsen!! Anna Nicole! Cher! Michael Jackson!!"

Don't get me wrong, I am not mad at being called Lenny. I think he's good looking and a cool guy. I just don't think we look anything alike. The Chris Rock thing is whatever. I get that from people everywhere. I even looked at photos online to see if I was in denial. I still don't see it. I'd like to think that I'm unique. Maybe I'll start dating white people who think I look like hot, famous, black men. "See my man over there Ian? He's a dead ringer for that fine ass (insert name of random black male) and he's all mine! Holler!!"

No comments: