Friday, February 10, 2017

BHM Day 10: Blackish

When I first read that ABC was putting out a show called Blackish I had some initial reservations. Although, I was happy to see another show on TV with a cast that looked like me, it had potential to be SUPER corny. Would they try to be Cosby 2.0? Would they be “too urban”? Would they not be “urban enough” I was curious to see what they did with the show, and knew the importance of a show like this. There aren’t many shows featuring a predominantly Black cast that focuses on family. In this genre, I can think of Good Times, The Cosby Show, Family Matters, and Moesha. When it comes to Black television, there just doesn’t seem to be many examples of positive Black families.


Despite my initial dislike of Anthony Anderson, I actually liked Blackish upon first watching it. It centers on a doctor and an advertising exec who have four kids and live in a nice house in the suburbs. The writing was witty and many of the topics were relatable to me. I mean, when I moved to the suburbs, my family was THE Black family on our street and I’m pretty sure we doubled the population of Black kids in my elementary school. I also liked how Blackish presents the perspective of three different generations of Black people. Additionally, through the character of Rainbow, we sometimes hear how a biracial person feels about certain subjects. The show tackles important issues like guns, interracial dating, police brutality, and therapy in the Black community. The show is real, but never feels heavy, as the issues are addressed with a mix of comedy.






Today I shine the BHM spotlight on Blackish for helping show another side of Black people. Somewhere between crack heads and Diddy exists people like the family on Blackish. Critics of the show felt that it wasn’t an accurate representation, but I feel like this might be one of the shows (and Gossip Girl) that best represents my childhood. Many of my other friends are of the same opinion. Hell, even people who aren't Black can watch it and get something out of it! This show is for everyone! Oh, and no, I do not work for Blackish or ABC, but I would gladly take any money they are wanting to throw my way.




No comments: