Wednesday, February 8, 2017

BHM Day 8: Teyana Taylor


I used to be OBSESSED with the MTV show “My Super Sweet Sixteen”. I watched most of the episodes and loved/hated the spoiled brats they’d feature weekly. It was this show that introduced me to Teyana Taylor. I remember her episode because instead of wanting a stunty car, she really wanted a bike. Oh, and on top of that she was down with Pharrell. She gave me super New York/tom boy vibes and she was refreshing as hell. Not too long after her show, she began dropping music. Sadly no one was really there to pick it up or give a damn. (please note: I don’t care what you say, “Google Me” was kind of genius and I will fight you over this.)



Teyana kind of disappeared for a minute. I saw she parted ways with her music label and went the indie route. She made some minor waves with her mixtapes (maybe they were albums? I can’t tell the difference anymore..) and ultimately ended up signing with Kanye’s G.O.O.D Music. Yay! He was killing it and signing the best talent, she was bound to be a hit with a larger audience, right? She was on the opening track to “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” and that made me think “Ok, Kanye is getting her name out so she can drop her own material.” WRONG. Teyana was also featured on the opening of G.O.O.D. Music’s compilation “Cruel Summer” I started getting the feeling that Teyana was signed just so Ye would have someone to sing a good hook.

Jumping ahead past an album release and a baby, Teyana starred in the video for “Fade”. THe video was her dancing around in very little, but it kept it all very artistic. Her body was banging and soon after she had the likes of “Vogue” being obsessed with her. She even landed a highly coveted (girl, I guess?) role on VH1’s Divas Live Christmas Special. Things are definitely looking up for Teyana and I’m curious to see what she does with all of this newfound exposure. I mean, the girl can sing, dance, write, AND take a bomb ass photo. Plus, any girl that can come out of a Rihanna feud with her edges in tact deserves the BHM spotlight. Brava, sis!

No comments: