Monday, February 6, 2017

BHM Day 6: Atlanta

I’m guessing that today Atlanta is a little less turnt up that usual. I get it, that L they took last night was pretty tough to take. The game felt oddly political, given the President’s remarks about Atlanta and the fact that he and Brady are besties. Now would be a good time to insert the Tyra .GIF about us rooting for them, but that joke is far too easy and quite frankly, beneath me. I know people were getting ready to pop bottles and make it rain on big bootied strippers at Magic City. Sadly both the bottles and the P’s of strippers remain unpopped today. Worry not, ATLiens, on this sixth day of BHM I am shining my light on your wonderful city!


See, if you are a fan of alternative facts, you’d buy into the notion that Atlanta is “in horrible shape and falling apart”. You’d probably also be dumb AF and not my target audience, so feel free to hit that magic “X” in the top right of your screen. Ok, now that it’s just us lovers of facts, I can drop a few on this great city:

IT’s the last US city to have hosted the Summer Olympics

They have a Golden Globe winning show based on it

They have one of, if not (too lazy to google) the busiest airports in the world

Whenever a reality show wants to appeal to Black people, they have a cast in Atlanta. (Love and Hip Hop: Atlanta, Little Women: Atlanta, Real Housewives of Atlanta, etc)

Atlanta is home to many large corporations like Coca Cola and CNN

The music scene and it’s effect on pop music in undeniable. (Migos at #1, and the new Ariana Grande single features Future)

Did I mention RHOA?




There’s more to Atlanta than trap music and Magic City. Like any major city, this place has its share of hoods, but it also has one of the greatest concentrations of successful Black professionals. People in Atlanta go hard for their city and will fight you. I remember going to see the Formation Tour and Khalid brought out damn near off of Atlanta for the show. People went TF off. One might have believed TI, Ludacris, and Usher were required readings in school.The beauty of seeing such pride in one’s city was inspiring.

So I said all of that because I want Atlanta to dust themselves off, and keep it pushing. Take a day or two to mourn, but come this weekend do what you do best, by showing up and showing out. I fully expect to hear the applause from stripper’s cheeks to be heard in Orlando, do NOT disappoint me, Atlanta.



No comments: