Saturday, February 18, 2017

BHM Day 18: Moonlight



I’m usually not the person who gets excited about seeing movies. Beyond that, the movies that I tend to like are typically not recipients of any accolades. I mean, Mean Girls was robbed by the Academy and I’m still in my feelings over that, but that’s for another blog post during White History Months. Kidding! (sort of) When I started hearing people saying “oh you absolutely MUST go see Moonlight” it made me want to see it less. It seemed like it was going to be one of those over hyped projects that put me to sleep. Boy am I glad that I got over that and took my happy ass to the theatre. Moonlight turned out to be an AMAZING movie on so many different levels. Today, we are shining the BHM on a great movie that just happens to be Black as hell.


It’s not very often that I get to see a movie with people who look like me. It’s hard enough to get Black films made as is, and sometimes it feels like Black movies are overlooked unless they are about slavery. Not that we need to stop talking about slavery and the impact it’s had and continues to have, but I think it’s important to tell diverse stories that reflect how diverse Black people are. Now me asking for a movie about Blackness AND discussing homosexuality is just absurd! Oh but wait, Moonlight came to the rescue!

For those of you who haven’t been made gay by vaccines and MTV, don’t feel like you can’t see Moonlight. It has gay themes, but isn’t overtly gay. But to those of you who can’t handle seeing two men together, I think it’s time you look at the deeper issue… The movie tells a great story about a kid growing up in Miami. He has a fucked up home life (mom didn’t get the memo about crack being whack, but got the memo about it being cheap :( ) and gets taken in by a drug dealer with a heart and mouth of gold. We see the character go from childhood to adulthood and see how the relationships evolve. There’s much more to the film, but I’ll leave it to you to see it if you haven’t.

The storytelling is great and the acting is on point. Visually the movie is just nice to see. It was so well shot. I was thrilled to see Moonlight get all eight of its Oscar nominations. They were so well deserved. Maybe this might be the film to help counteract the past few years (decades) of #OscarsSoWhite. Maybe not. I do know that films like this are important to proving that Black people in compelling stories will sell tickets. Moonlight is a great Black film, but even more important is the fact that it’s just a great film. I doubt there's a sequel, but I'd request to see more shirtless/gratuitous nude scenes with this fine ass man:




wait, he was trying to look hard and damaged, he can look better!


No comments: