Tuesday, February 14, 2017

BHM Day 14: Black Bachelorette

When news of the FIRST Black Bachelorette broke last night, I pretty much rolled my eyes and went back to doing whatever I was doing. I watch a LOT of trash reality TV, but that show has never kept my attention. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever watched it. Oh well. It seems a bit late on the part of the show to just now be featuring a Black lead after almost fifteen years. Better late than never? Girl, I guess… Sadly, today’s BHM spotlight is not going to Black Bachelorette, Rachel Lindsay. Why, rob her of this great distinction? Well, I for one, am not going to sit up here and pretend that she’s the first Bachelorette.


Tiffany “New York” Pollard gets the distinction of being the first. Yes, She came from Flava of Love and not the Bachelor, but it’s basically the same thing, right? I don’t care if you back me up, as Black Twitter has my back on this one and they totally trump your opinion. New York stole the show on Flava of Love. The show itself, was a parody, so that gave her even more opportunity to be over the top and ridiculous. They brought her back for a second season, only to have her lose again

Most people would have given up after being a two - time reality show loser, but not New York! She persisted! (Elizabeth Warren, who?) She went on to have her own spin off show, I Love New York, where she looked for love. After two seasons, she was still hella single, which leads me to believe that love is just not for her. Kidding! (sort of?) New York managed to turn her fifteen minutes of fame into thirty. She became a fixture of reality TV and by my count, has appeared on eight shows. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade (Beyonc.. Ok, let’s not get crazy here)


I guess my post about Black love didn’t turn out being about love, but I stayed on topic with the Black part, so there’s that! I am going to instead, shine my BHM spotlight on Tiffany “New York” Pollard for being a trailblazer of reality television. She took a bunch of losses in love so that women like Rachel Lindsay could have a chance at winning. Thank you sister York Pollard,thank you.

No comments: