Saturday, February 4, 2017

BHM Day 4: Kelly Price

A few years ago, #KellyPrice was trending on twitter and I got nervous, as I figured she had died. I was never her biggest fan, but I have always thought she had a good voice and she’s given me some song that I really enjoy. I mean, if she was good enough to sing with Whitney, she’s good enough for Yann! So imagine my joy when I found out that she was in fact, still alive and well! Better yet, there was a longer hashtag (#FatAssKellyPrice) that I discovered that forever changed my life. Ok, that’s a bit dramatic, but that’s kind of very on brand for me, so whatever. THe hashtag came from an episode of “Catfish” where a guy’s cousin catfished him because he called her (you guessed it!) a fat ass Kelly Price. It was TV gold and deserved an Emmy.



OK, but after the joke from the dust settled, I wondered how KP would get back to being known for her music. Before trending on Twitter, she was on on the reality show, R&B Divas and came off like the absolute worst human being. At one point she ended up accidentally singing “As We Lay” (a song about fucking a married man) for a crowd of people who were there for a gospel set. When would the Ls stop coming?! I thought it might be over for her. I was wrong, which is weird, as I’m like never wrong.

Fast Forward to Kanye finally dropping TLOP and Kelly Price is featured on one of the standout tracks, “Ultralight Beam”. She killed her verse and took us all to church Just like that, people were reminded how dope she was. I know, I went to YouTube and watched her old videos. If Kanye represented old heads embracing Kelly, Migos naming a song after her gave her a stamp of approval of the young people. I’m guessing the greatest achievement (besides the 6 Grammy nods and her child) would probably be being chosen to sing the national anthem for Chris Brown and Soulja Boy’s boxing match in Dubai. #BLESSUP! Today, I’m shining the BHM spotlight on Kelly Price because I love a good comeback story. Kelly, please don’t fuck this up.

** Fun fact: I just googled her to find a photo, and her website refers to her as the Queen of R&B Soul. This is news to me (and I’m guessing to most people) but even more reason to shine the light on this queen!


No comments: