Friday, February 3, 2017

BHM Day 3: Naomi Campbell

Late last night, I saw the new campaign for GAP that features Naomi Campbell and had no choice but to celebrate her today. The woman has been CONSISTENTLY slaying (an overused term, but so appropriate for Ms. Campbell) for over 25 years. I’m unsure if she’s made a deal with the Devil, drinks the blood of virgins, or is just “Good Black, don’t crack” personified.

I don’t think there is doubt that Naomi is beautiful, but her importance goes beyond that. Naomi came in a time when there weren’t very many famous Black models and not only made a name for herself, but reached supermodel status. She helped to start changing the idea that putting a non white woman on the cover of a magazine would result in abysmal sales. The likes of Serena, Lupita, and even Beyonce owe part of their covers to great strides Naomi made. Ms. Campbell remains vocal about including diversity in fashion, as she is well aware that we are far from being equally represented in the fashion world. She remains passionate about HIV/AIDS awareness and has been vocal about the uptick in HIV in certain areas. She has worked with PETA, but then she modeled fur. You know what, let's just move on...

Naomi isn’t just in fashion, she has moved into TV. (I’m not going to discuss the album she released in Japan out of respect) She plays a rich bitch VERY well. I’m not sure if she’s acting or not, but I always enjoy seeing her on my TV screen. Naomi has a line of lingerie and I’m sure a bunch of other side businesses I don’t feel like Googling. (Y’all have the same access to Google I do). She has made sure to be a well rounded person, and this is why she’s remained relevant in one of the most fickle industries for so long. Well that, and because I’m sure people are terrified of her. She’s quick with a Blackberry and still has Tyra shook after damn near two decades. Eh, either way she’s bad as hell and today I shall shine my BHM spotlight upon her!






No comments: