Sunday, February 12, 2017

BHM Day 12: Viola Davis


EGOT= Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony Award Winner.

When one EGOTs, there is little doubt that they are the shit. I mean, to win accolades for film, television, theatre, and music? There are some people who are good at one thing, and then there are others who can just do whatever it is they want to do. To EGOT is to be part of a very small circle of elite performers. When it comes to POC (person of colour, keep up people!) who have achieved this feat, only Whoopi Goldberg comes to mind. Well folks, it looks like Viola Davis is trying to join that inner circle
I am not a big movie person, so I wasn’t aware of her critically acclaimed work until recently. I know she made waves with her role in The Help and that kind of made me sit up and take notice. Truthfully, I got to know her best for her role on How to Get Away with Murder. The show instantly grabbed me, and I lived for the badass Black female lawyer who was running shit. It wasn’t until I started seeing her do things like take off false lashes and makeup or get her natural hair combed on TV that I was like “Oh, she’s out here trying to win an Emmy” She was stripping down and giving the people raw emotion. It worked and she won the award in 2015 and became the first Black woman to win said award. Crazy, right?

Raw Emotion 101:



As for the Grammy, I’m not sure how that’ll work out, as I’ve never heard her sing. Maybe she could win whatever award Hillary Clinton won? OR, she could do something with Allison Krause, because the Grammy voters LOVE her. She STAYS winning awards.

The Oscar could very well happen this year. Her role in Fences has earned her numerous awards, one of which being her fifth SAG award. She’s the first Black woman to earn five. She also just got the Golden Globe, which can sometimes be a good indicator of Oscar voting. Speaking of Oscars noms, can we just talk about Viola being the first Black woman to earn three nominations? She’s clearly coming into her own in the acting world and people are appreciating her work




Since Viola knew she was the shit,she went ahead and got her Tony early on to get it out of the way. I didn’t even know she did stage acting, but then again I am just learning that she graduated from Juilliard. I am shining the BHM spotlight on Viola Davis for being multi dimensional enough to make an EGOT possible. I have faith in her (provided she reaches out to that Krause woman) and I’m curious to see what her career holds in store.

No comments: