Wednesday, February 15, 2017

BHM Day 15: Olivier Rousteing


I have long been a huge fan of couture. Before every fashion house Instagrammed runway shows and tweeted looks from their collection, I would watch Fashion TV and read magazines to stay in the know. I was in awe of the over- the - top fashion shows and impressed by the sheer artistry the designers would present collection after collection. I have long had the feeling that the old couture houses were racist and stodgy AF. Sure they employed their share of gay, white men, but I hardly saw people that looked like me at the forefront.

Imagine my excitement when Olivier Rousteing was named creative director for Balmain. He was talented, young, gay, and oh yes, BLACK. Fashion insiders were said to be in their feelings that this relatively unknown “kid” was handed over this fashion house that was over sixty five years old. I don’t know if I can fully express how excited I am when the old school is pressed over Black excellence.

Olivier helped to reinvent and reinvigorate the brand. He catered to his growing Asian clientele and saw his profits grow accordingly. He made Balmain one of the first Instagram couture brands and helped propel them past a million followers. He was able to infuse his love of pop culture by landing Kardashians at his shows and Rihanna is his campaign. Just like that, this old, French house became well known across the globe.


Today I am shining the BHM spotlight on Olivier not for being a Black person in fashion, but for being a FORCE in the ultra- White world of couture. Feel how you want to about his designs (quiet as it’s kept, I don’t always love everything he sends down the runway) but you cannot deny the impact he has had and continues to have. Oh, and I’m not even going to get into his bone structure of adorable French accent. Screw it, it’s my blog and I’ll do as I please. I think he’s adorable and I feel like we would get along so well. Olivier if you’re reading this (I know he’s not) I am totally fine with the idea of moving to France. Also, I’m a size 31 err actually just DM me. Enjoy your day in the light, boo!




No comments: