Sunday, February 19, 2017

BHM Day 19: Issa Rae



I hate being late to the party. Well not actual parties; being on time isn’t chic at all. I’m talking about finding out about something after everyone has. I had never watched or even heard of The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl. It was a web series on YouTube that was created by Issa Rae. She then took elements of the series and wrote a New York Times Bestseller of the same name. I only heard of it/her after hearing of a young, Black woman who had landed her own show on HBO called Insecure. I gave into the buzz and watched the show, which is odd given I rarely listen to the opinions of others. Mary J Blige wouldn’t lead me astray would she?

"I don't listen to people's opinions. I have people around me who I can trust, but most of all I listen to myself." - Mary. J Blige.


Damnit, MJB had sidetracked me again! Anyway, so Insecure is an amazing show. It centers on Issa and her best friend Molly, who are two young women living in California. Unlike most shows, neither Issa nor Molly have their shit together. Molly has a bomb job and wardrobe but cant keep a guy. Issa has a job (that I get the impression she kind of hates) and a man, but they’re out of the honeymoon phase and shit is getting real. That’s what I think I like about the show. I love my Annalise Keatings and my Olivia Popes, but sometimes it’s great to see someone who is a hot mess, like myself. I knew early on that I liked this show when I was blessed with this gem:



As I got more into the show I reached the conclusion that Issa is basically a female version of me. She randomly raps in the show and I randomly sing. On the show, Issa walks in on her coworkers talking shit about her and I have been in that same boat. She handles microaggressions in the workplace with passive aggressive answers but cusses them the fuck out in her head. Bitch stole my coping strategy!

Insecure is not only great because it’s my life story, but it’s dope because of just how Black it is. They cast has some great actors and is directed by Melina Matsoukas. She’s probably best known for directing videos for Beyonce. Speaking of Bey, the soundtrack is curated by Solange. Issa got Raphael Saadiq to do the music. Basically she’s stacked the deck with a bunch of talented ass black people. Issa is passionate about ensuring the quality and presence of Black TV by putting POC is roles in front of and behind the cameras. It’s one thing to be famous and well off on your own, but it’s another thing when you are able to put on other people at the same damn time. Today we celebrate Issa Rae for not only being talented, but being selfless enough to help other Black people out. Just think what could be accomplished with a mindset like hers instead of all of these hating ass people who don’t want to see anyone who isn’t them succeed… *insert Keanu “whoa”* Issa has no need to be awkward of insecure, she should feel confident knowing she's a bad bitch and has a career as bright as her bright ass smile ahead of her.


No comments: