Thursday, February 16, 2012

BHM Day 16: Grace Jones




When I was younger, I remember seeing this woman on television and being afraid of her. She was so weird and out there that it just made me uncomfortable. Who is this woman? Grace Jones, duh! I hadn't really thought of her for awhile, to be honest, but then I was just talking to someone recently about over the top personas and the person was of the mindset that Lady Gaga was such a pioneer and doing something so new that had never been done before by anyone in existence. I had to tell them to shut the hell up and then I dropped some knowledge on a ho


Grace Jones is actually pretty. She has great bone structure and a look that was good enough for Andy Warhol. Hell, she was actually a successful model in New York and Paris. She actually just chooses to push the boundaries and ideas of what is beauty. That was a big feat in the 70s when people were even more obsessed with anglo beauty than they are today. When I was younger I think seeing a woman with a flat top fade was weird to me. LIttle did I know Grace was rocking the hairstyle in the 70s before it became the rage in the 80s. Trendsetter!

Speaking of setting trends, let's please just stop and take a minute and recognise that Ms Jones is still influencing fashion today. Her angular clothes and padded ensembles inspired the likes of Rihanna and *gasp* even Lady Gaga.

Here, she has the Rihanna Red AND the same type of body art as seen in "Rude Boy" I ain't never lied, y'all! Told you!

Pretty much the reason why I have a new found love for Grace Jones is that I can now appreciate how groundbreaking she was. On top of that she's Jamaican, so there's a very high chance that she may be a cousin of mine. Grace paved the way for today's stunt queens (I'm talking about you, Gaga, Nicki, Rihanna etc) Come to think of it, she just might be your favourite stunt queens favourite stunt queen. This is why she is so deserving of today's BHM spotlight!

Two clips from her in Boomerang, where she pretty much made the movie:






No comments: