Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl Zest 2012

So yesterday was the Super Bowl. I would by lying if I said I was excited about anything other than hanging out with my friends, eating and having some drinks. I wasn't a fan of either team, nor did I really want any one of them to win because of a vendetta for beating my team. I just wanted to see a good game that kept me interested and this year didn't disappoint. I got what I needed.

Somewhere in the middle of the game, Madonna came out. She didn't just come out, but she came out in a super homoerotic, dramatic fashion, which I liked. The Roman setup was pretty damned genius. I am glad she came out to "Vogue" The dancers, costumes and song choice made her entrance the gayest of all time. Physically, she looked amazing. I thought the projection of the Vogue covers was HUGE. HUGE!

She launched into "Music" and brought out some parcour guys. Those dudes are badass. Then she walked up to some dude that looked like Cupid with a Jew fro. I was about to hate and then he started bopping around on a rope and I had to promptly shut the fuck up. Then Madonna got on a platform and started jumping around looking like she was on a rope too. That was smart. Rope walking and bouncing isn't' something you learn overnight. So I'd fake it too. LMFAO (The current reppers of the Jew Fro) came out and was the first hint of Madonna trying to bridge the gap between her era and what the kids are loving today. Hell she even had a mashup with them. I blame Glee for this. SHe did the shufflin' dance which made me smile. Then LMFAO helped take off part of her skirt without any coochie coming out (I'm staring DEAD at you Justin Timberlake and Janet)

Then she launched into her new song, which no one seems to like. Nicki looked deranged, MIA flipped the bird and that's all I'm gonna say.

A marching band came out and Cee Lo came out with them. Madonna "sang" some of "Open your Heart" "Express Yourself" and then she launched into "Like a Prayer" It was a pretty dramatic way to end the performance. Ooop! I spoke too soon. Her dropping into the stage in a plume of smoke was even more dramatic.

Ok, so here are my thoughts in no particular order:

Why did Cee Lo have on more sequins than Madonna?

Was Cee Lo the only one to sing live?

Why were people so upset that she was lip syncing? 1.) It's the Halftime Show and it's pretty standard to do so. 2.) She's Madonna and not exactly the best vocalist to begin with. For her, it's about the performance more than raw vocals.

Why did MIA do that? Like seriously? I mean I know she needs attention and love, but that's not the way to do it. I thought it was interesting that Madonna chose to play it safe with regards to sex in this show. I saw her on Leno and she made a joke about not repeating Janet because she doesn't like to do what has been done before (that's a lie, but whatever) I like that people were expecting something raunchy and she gave us something appropriate for families in the flat states. MIA had to come along and fuck it up.

When did her all black choir get some white? I do like Cee Lo singing the solo. He did the original sassy black woman justice.

Why are people tripping over her being "stiff" 1.) she's 53. 2.) She allegedly pulled her hamstring 3.) WE give everyone else a pass, but hold her to these crazy expectations. I mean I have seen Britney lok positively comatose and people are talking about how she "slayed it" Girl bye.

Was anyone else hoping that after she dropping into the stage she would reappear in some nosebleed seats like MJ did back in the day? No? Just me? Whatever, skip you then.



So pretty much Madonna not only delivered but did the damned thing. You don't have to love her or even be gay as hell to realise that she took on a pretty big task and was about to rise to the occasion. Oh, and did I mention that she's 53? Just marinate on that for a bit...




No comments: