Monday, February 6, 2012

BHM Day 6: Bob Marley

Ok, so the Super Bowl tried to take some of the shine away from Black people, but this is out month, damnit, so I'm pressing on! Today I shine the BHM spotlight on Bob Marley. Today is his birthday, so I thought it'd be a good idea to celebrate a man who did so much and just seemed like he'd be fun to chill with.

Bob Marley somehow crossed over to America and won over the hearts and minds of people. It just goes to show that music really is the international language. He introduced the US to not only the rasta culture, but also reggage music. He simultaneously gave people a new sound and a reason to smoke weed. Pretty impressive. Sadly suburban kids all over the country now see Bob as someone who is on their blacklight poster or just as some huge pot icon. He was so much more.

Oh, while I'm on the subject of pot and Jamaicans... (White) people, please stop asking me if my parents smoke weed. I don't ask if your mom is on meth or oxy. You are really ignorant and should slap yourself in the face.

OK, I got off topic, but I'm back! Bob was a great man who left the world great music with a great message. Happy Birthday to a true legend! Get into some island music right now:

No comments: