Wednesday, February 1, 2012

BHM Day 1: Don Cornelius


So today I got news of the death of Don Cornelius. Apparently he took his own life at the age of 75. Kind of crazy right? Well it also so happens to be the first day of BHM (Black History Month) so I thought it would be fitting for me to lift up Brother Cornelius for his contributions. I remember growing up and watching Soul Train and thinking how cool it would be to be on that show. I dreamed of the day that I could go on there and make my way down that Soul Train line. I even had a few dances ready to go just in case I ever got that call and they needed a chubby elementary school kid to jump in and help out.

Years later, I am still ready for a soul train line. Granted my dances now are a bit more extreme and involving me p'ing my C, but I just call that evolution. Or something. I guess my point is that years later, the impression left by Don and his Soul Train is still there. I just am comforted by the fact that in Heaven people are lining up and showing out in their own soul train line.

No comments: