Tuesday, February 21, 2012

BHM Day 21: Lionel Richie


Today I am placing the BHM spotlight squarely on Lionel Richie. He is not just the man who raised Nicole Richie. He was also a member of the Commodores. He sang, Brick House, y'all! That alone is enough for you peasants to bow ALL the way down. But no, he went ahead and owned the 80s with his music and songwriting. He helped pen one of the greatest songs ever: We Are the World. He earned the title "Black Barry Manilow" but I think he is way cooler than Barry. Give the man his props.

More recently, people were reminded of Lionel's awesomeness when Enrique, who I really thought had died, sampled his song. It hit the top of the charts and people who were alive in the 80s were all "Oh right, I remember that song! It used to be the jam!" Ok, maybe it was jus me who said that, but whatever... So for Lionel's contributions to music in the 70s, 80s, and even last year, I raise a glass to Mr Richie.

No comments: