Monday, February 27, 2012

BHM Day 26: Jay Z




Today's BHM spotlight lands on Mr. Carter. You may know him as Jay Z. I simply refer to him as Beyonce's sperm donor. He really deserves it. I'm guessing you want to know why, so here goes:

Jay Z is not what one would call classically attractive. He has been called Joe Camel and has very exaggerated features. I know that when I heard Bey was carrying his seed, I prayed the baby would look like the mother. My prayers were answered. Jay is a man who embodies the idea of Swagger. Yes, that word is hella overused, but I think it fits him. The man had enough swagger to land the hottest chick in the game. He has style and knows how to wear clothes well. He is the epitome of working with what you've been given. Way to prove that "ugly" dudes can win in love/life!!

Jay is a taste maker. People want to be like him. When he started wearing throwback jerseys they flew off shelves. He then switched it up and started with tailored suits and people took note. People wanted to drink Cristal until he deemed their comments racist and now you couldn't give Cris away in the club for free. Ok that's a lie. I love champagne and was taught to never turn away a free drink. Ok, that's another lie...no one ever taught me that, but I feel like that's just common sense. Unless it's like from some sketchy ass person and has a high chance of containing roofies, I'mma drink that drink. O KKK?! Moving on.

He is a business, MAN, not just a businessman. See what I did there? Ok I stole that from him, but it's totally fitting. He is a major person in the industry. He left Def Jam to be on his own at Roc Nation. Granted, he hasn't really put out too many people yet, aside from a few WIllow Smith singles and albums from J Cole, Cheryl Lloyd and Alexis Jordan, but it's beyond album sales. He is taking control of his music and brand. He manages Rihanna and has signed on the likes of Ester Dean and Stargate (the writer and producers of smashes across different genres) He is basically making money hand over fist. Baby Blue's college fund is looking REALLY good at these times...

Lastly, I do think the man is talented. After watching "Fade to Black" and seeing how the man works, I must admit that I gained a new respect for him. To be relevant in rap over the age of 40 is no easy feat and he shows no signs of slowing down. Gotta love a man who is constantly evolving and who claims his children! (we're going to overlooked that alleged baby you had with that chick a few years back Jay) Enjoy your day in the light, Shawn!


No comments: